Monday, May 24, 2010

A Meditation on Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

God has planted eternity
in the human heart,
but even so, people cannot see
the whole scope of God’s work
from beginning to end
… 
Ecclesiastes 3:11b (NLT)
Life is hard to live
when the future is unknown …
Yet the future is always
unknown … uncertain … unreachable
In the depths of my mind

I strive against the order of life
And fret over things I can never know
I hesitate for fear of becoming
Hemmed in and trapped
In a future not created for me

Always torn between what was
and what is to come
Always waiting
for the end of a moment
that closes one thought
And begins another
Always another thought
In the story of life
That goes on … and on … and on
Always changing
Never stopping

I can’t catch my breath
For the wind of change
continues to move
I can’t get my bearings
For I’m pulled into the vortex
of churning emotions …
I can’t find myself
Till my soul reaches out
And pulls me into
The dark of the deep

“Be still” she whispers
as I enter her spaces
sweet silence surrounds me
as her peace enters my chaos
and seeps into each corner
of my wounded being

© January 2007 Cindy Serio

No comments:

Post a Comment