Monday, September 21, 2009

Prayer and Tradition

I had a very thought provoking conversation today with one of my wisest confidantes:) I've been deep in thought about prayer ever since ... and praying along the way. I've been thinking about the habit of my little family to say the meal blessing that my husband grew up with in his large Catholic family: Bless us, O Lord, in these thy gifts that we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen. I think some people might find fault with repetition in prayer, but I am blessed by the gentle comfort of these well-worn words. In their simplicity, they give me the space to rest in a deep place of thanksgiving. Remember when Jesus looked toward heaven, blessed some bread and a few fish ... there was such an abundance that a multitude of people were fed. (Luke 9:16) I remember my beautiful little family growing up together saying these words ... It was a regular daily act of thanksgiving and family worship. Somehow it is as if all of the generations of my husband's family are all there with us ... the communion of saints ... and we are blessed to be wrapped in the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment