Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Shakespeare Garden

Today I walked in the Shakespeare Garden at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (G-ETS), which is where I have spent so many weeks here and there reading and studying and writing for a long list of classes.  Since I graduated in 2009 I have been back a couple of times and it always makes me feel a sense of peace.

After Hurricane Katrina in 2005, G-ETS was the only stable place in my life.  I was living part-time in Houston, part-time in New Orleans, and part-time visiting my daughter who was in boarding school and sitting with my mom who was in the process of dying.  My life was highly unstable ... on any given day I could find myself in any of these places.  I lived out of a suitcase for about 6 months.  Yet in the midst of all of the chaos, GET-S was there and for 2 week intervals I was able to leave my life behind.  I like to study and I like to write and I like the silence found in a gentle garden.  When I "found" the Shakespeare Garden one summer day, I was mesmerized by its beauty.

When I got here, I rushed to see if there was life yet in the garden ...



and purple flowers

and the most gorgeous yellow flowers

And o what a shower 
of little pink flowers
emerge in the silence of a cool spring day ...
 
rounding the corner ... 
what joy and delight to find this furry little bunny ...
my friend on the journey ... 
may your day be filled with silence and flowers 
and gentle surprises ... Peace, Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment