Saturday, November 24, 2012

Be Still

Be Still and Know that I AM God
~Psalm 46:10a

This half verse from the Psalms sums up my deepest desire as I withdraw physically from the world and enter into a time of retreat.  In this context, retreat means to me that I step off the hamster wheel of life in order to seek a place where outer silence and quiet can begin to still the inner being.  When I am able to "be still" then I am able to re-connect with God without life screaming at me.  I know many people do not feel the need for this but I do.  I find that life has great expectations of me, that I have great expectations of myself, and that I suffer from feeling overwhelmed with my own imperfections.  Somehow in the silence of my inner being, my imperfections are seen through the eyes of God, each flaw a beautiful vessel of grace. 

I try for 30 minutes of silence a day ... a day of silence in a month with spiritual direction ... and several days once per year, sometimes on my own and sometimes in community. 

What is your practice of silence and what have you learned?

No comments:

Post a Comment