Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Pilgrimage into Silence and Beyond: Silence, Sabbath, and Snow

"Snow was falling,
so much like stars
filling the dark trees
that one could easily imagine
its reason for being was nothing more
than prettiness.”
~Mary Oliver
I woke up in the dark to the snow falling upon a white blanket of fresh snow laying upon the earth.  There is a gentle quality to the silence as the star-shaped flakes float to the ground.  Birds sing a new song and prayer rises from within, may I trust you, O God, that I am exactly where I am meant to be. 

We have to learn
to invite Silence
and having invited Silence
we now have to
learn to enter Silence.
~ Robert Sardello 


   Sabbath invites us to stop.
It invites us to rest.
It asks us to notice
that while we rest,
the world continues
without our help.
It invites us to delight
in the world’s
beauty and abundance.”
~ Wendell Berry

 

Snow falling, snow falling, snow falling and what shall become of me?  a pilgrimage into wildness ... wilderness wanderings and how is my soul traveling, anxiety emerges like rocks in the stream, stumbling blocks to experiencing God in all of her glory and wild imaginings ... snow falling, snow falling, snow falling, such a different day is today!  for yesterday the sun was shining.


 What can I learn from the snow today?  of God, of nature, of love, of stillness, of silence and solitude, too.  It is wild in the wilderness!  Touch me in the wild spaces of my soul, O God and let the ducks quack, the bird sing ... to me, to the world, to those who have passed from this world into the next, into beauty divine.  Wrap me in your presence and let there be peace within my soul.  

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail. 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Take this link for Part 4: Journey Home

To begin the journey from the beginning, take this link:
A Pilgrimage into Silence and Beyond  

No comments:

Post a Comment