Friday, August 14, 2015

Silently Gazing ... Experiencing Art

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.
~Thomas Merton
 
Flaming June by Frederic Leighton, seen beyond the fountain in the Indoor Garden

 
I recently spent a few days in New York City.   I don't do long lines or crowds very well so my daughter found us a couple of smaller museums, the Guggenheim and the Frick Collection.
 
The beautiful woman in orange above drew me in from the moment I saw her from afar.  As I walked into the garden at the Frick Collection, she called me into her world and I stood transfixed, mesmerized by her warmth.  She is vivid and flowing, a vision alive even while sleeping.    

Although I really liked the art at the Guggenheim, I felt the architecture of the building itself was the shining star in my night sky.  
 
Looking up from the center of the Guggenheim Museum, a round building ... 
 with spiraling walkways and many art nooks
My favorite nook art... no idea why I could stand and gaze for such a long period of time upon her ... what is it within myself that feels bound?  And can I be beauty as she is? 

And ... oh my, I do love my favorite artist, my dear Pablo Picasso ... ahhhh, she is stunning!
 
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
~Pablo Picasso

Woman Ironing by Pablo Picasso (1904)
Finally, on our last day in almost our last hour, we made it to St. Patrick's Cathedral ... by accident! 
Not even the noise and activity from traffic and ongoing renovations could dampen the presence of God in such a holy space.  Walking in, turning around and simply gazing upon the Rose Window gave me chills ... I closed my eyes and felt I was back in Chartres, France standing on the Labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral.  Praying ... breathing in "Mother God" ... breathing out "Grace and Mercy"
The Rose Window at St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC
As if I had not received grace enough, suddenly I saw my favorite icon, Our Lady of Czestochowa!  She is stunning as always she is ... I lit 2 candles (you can see them in the lower right corner) and prayed for many things, steeped in the grace of God.  Amen.


This world is but a canvas to our imagination.
~Henry David Thoreau

God has been an artist since creation and creates still today!
Gazing from New York Harbor/Bay, Verrazano–Narrows Bridge in the distant, clouds in the sky ...
Sing praises to God ...
Who covers the heavens with clouds,
Who provides rain for the earth,
Who makes grass to grow on the mountains.

Psalms 147:7a, 8

   
Flaming June
Flaming June

No comments:

Post a Comment