Monday, August 17, 2009

Panama Reflection

Have you ever been on a mission trip? There is just something about leaving your own culture behind to embrace humanity in a different part of the world (even a different part of the city will do I'm sure) meeting lots of different people who talk in another language (that you can't understand by the way) and who live in a different way (a lot simpler no doubt) ...

it's a mosaic experience!


We are celebrating our mission trip this Sunday so I've written this reflection from snipets in my journal to share my experience ... I thought I would share my reflection with you:

Panama … let the mission journey begin

hope emerges
for a time filled with beauty
here to be changed
i know not how
with God’s healing grace
broken hearts mend strong
in the liminal space
between what was
and what will be

rushing water of the river rolls on
chisels the rocks
till they’re shiny and smooth
foaming spray
and bouncing droplets
refresh the weary traveler
deep waters of the soul
bring forth flowers of delight

day by day
soaking rains fall
from the cloudy grey sky
lush vegetation
palm trees and hibiscus
as far as the eye can see
life abundant emerges
a profusion of beauty
touches the heart
with healing confusion

children hungry children
sadness seasons the experience
compassion wells up within
the voice of justice whispers
arising in the mist
of long-forgotten memories
a broken heart
frees the gentle breeze
to sweep through my soul

as I make my way
on the path toward home
from Panama ...


© 2009 Cindy Foster Serio

No comments:

Post a Comment