Thursday, August 20, 2009

What makes you come alive?

"Don't ask what the world needs.
Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman


Each evening I engage in a "daily examen." Very simply, I consider the events of my day, and I ask myself "What was life-giving?" and "what was life-draining?" As I experience the examen as a spiritual exercise, over time I find that it helps me to figure out just what it is that makes me come alive ... this is not a pattern that emerges quickly or clearly for this is a matter of the soul and mine needs much safety to share her wisdom.

Wisdom that arises from the soul doesn't always make sense. It doesn't always fit in a box but it might look great in a mosaic! In the last couple of days I have encountered God disguised as a "weeping woman." Each one in such deep pain that I could only hold the space with her ... no answers will you find here ... just simple presence as Spirit envelops us. The prophet Jeremiah (29:12-14a) writes a message from God to seekers like me


"when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you.
When you search for me, you will find me;
if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord"


Seeking God ... Finding God ... in the most unlikely people and places. This is what makes me alive! So I think I must go to the most unlikely places ...

Here I am, Send me!



So dear friends ... what makes you come alive?


I'd love to hear from you if you'd care to share ...



No comments:

Post a Comment