Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Creative Monster

As my Visionary Women small group has been studying Vein of Gold by Julia Cameron we are finding it difficult to move through because it is taking us deeper than we journeyed last year through the The Artist Way.  Of course it could be that the book is "deeper" or it could be we are "deeper" or it could be a combination of both ... Well, this week we "killed" the Creative Monster.  Cameron talks about the voices that reside in our minds that shame our inner child into avoiding the pain of our creativity.  In a split second, I could hear the creative monster from my past roar back into my consciousness ...that voice that just wouldn't let me feel what I felt ... the voice that made me suspect every emotion until I stopped feeling ... and creating!

Because I love to write I wrote into this exercise with abandon and malice!  Anyway the ladies laughed and begged me to make it a broadway play or write a novel ... ok so they just laughed till they cried and it went to my head.  I did promise to publish on the blog.  So I've cleaned it up for you (really I did) my esteemed readers ... please let me know if you laugh!

Ok you'll have to picture some kind of fantasy land ...

la la la la la la la la la la la ah there I am skipping down the yellow brick road -- wait I don't like yellow -- my road is bubble gum pink for joy and for laughter.  la la la la la la la la la la la ah there I am skipping down the pinky pink road -- ok so yellow brick road sounds better!


la la la la la la la la la la la ah  EEK! Ugliness jumps out in front of me ... "How do you feel?"  asks the Emotion Policewoman with a glint in her eye.  "I'm happy" is my joyous reply.  "HAPPY!  You can't possibly be happy." she sneers.  "Ten lashes with a dirty dishrag for you!" as she slaps me and runs.


la la la la la la la la la la la ah EEK!  There she is again that diabolical Emotion Policewoman.  "How do you feel?"  shrieks the Emotion Policewoman at the top of her ability.  "Well, I'm a little cold."  "COLD! You can't possibly be cold." she snaps.  "We are having a heatwave in your fantasy land today.  What's wrong with you don't you know your own mind?  Off with your jacket"  She dances away picking lint off my threads with her nose in the air.


la la la la la la la la la la la ah  EEK!  "I'm going to kill that Emotion Policewoman!"  I think as I jump to the stars.  "How do you feel?"  she clenchs her teeth and stamps her feet.  "Well dear woman, I am mad!"    Ha Ha Ha ... "you can't possible be mad ... I'm in your head ... you made me up.   You're crazy ... all right you are mad! stark-raving mad!  You are!  Ha ha ha ... Splat!


Off with your head, Emotion Policewoman.


How do I feel?  I feel good, na.na.na.na.na.na ... I knew that I would now!

Well, I feel better.  Do you have a creative monster lurking in the dark recesses of your mind ... refusing to allow you to express youself ... at least to yourself if no one else?  If so, why not try this silly little exercise and let your inner child poke some fun at you on the road to creative recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment