Sunday, January 17, 2010

Seagulls, Duckies, and Geese ... O My!

Here I am in Chicago and it's a little chilly ... Brrrr!  Actually at 28 degrees it is quite balmy today.   I am taking a 2-week intensive class on "missional preaching" at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, IL (a suburb of Chicago) which is nestled in the heart of Northwestern University.  Anyway, let me tell you about my adventure walking by the lake these last few days.
Beyond these trees is Lake Michigan

I could walk to see Lake Michigan ... maybe I will before I leave but it isn't nearly as interesting as this interior Lake on the campus where the beautiful koi fish swim in the summer ... did you know they'll survive as long as the lake isn't frozen solid?  The first day I was amazed at the seagulls gathered on the ice!



Right next to where they are standing you can see behind them the only spot on the lake that isn't frozen ... I can only assume that there is some kind of warmth from the building that is close to the lake at that particular point.  So who do you think is splashing around in the water right beside them?






A community of mallard ducks!


Then next what should I see but the ducks getting curious and making their way up the bank of the Lake ...

And where should they go but a patch of muddy grassy close to the street ... ok, not sure why but they did this three days in a row.  It was lunchtime.  I wonder if they were looking for the food that we normally throw into the lake in the summer ...
He looks ...  

She looks ... 

I thought I had seen it all yet today ... a new set of friends joined the party.  Check this out!
 
Canadian Geese

I guess they are on their way south and decided to stop over.  I know you can't tell by these pictures but these guys are HUGE!  And maybe they were scary too for the poor ducks who didn't go to their muddy place today save one little brave mallard boy on his way!
These beautiful creatures have piqued my curiosity and made me laugh.  Some days they ignore me and some days they talk to me ... quack quack quack.  For sure they have kept me company.  These days when I have been on my own they have become my companions praising God.


St. Francis of Assisi is said to have preached to the birds ..."My brothers, birds, you should praise your Creator very much and always love him; he gave you feathers to clothe you, wings so that you can fly, and whatever else was necessary for you.  God made you noble among his creatures, and he gave you a home in the purity of the air..."   


St. Francis also said,  "Preach the gospel always, If necessary use words."   This week the birds have preached the gospel to me and they didn't have to say a word!


Thank you Brothers AND Sisters Birds ...


No comments:

Post a Comment